WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems (CMS) in the world. It’s easy to use and it’s free. Anyone can download it and install it within minutes. Another advantage of this system is the huge selection of the plugins and themes you can install. Since WordPress is open-source, anyone can develop plugins and themes for it(and that’s why there are so many of them online). In this post, I will be discussing few proven ways to make money with WordPress (even if you don’t know how to code.).
WordPress plugin is pretty much a piece of code containing different functions. It extends functionality or add new features to your website. Most WordPress plugins are free (or “freemium”), but some of them cost money.
- Selling WordPress Plugins – You can develop plugins and then sell them for WordPress website owners. There are many online marketplaces that allow programmers to sell their plugins. One of them is CodeCanyon. The most popular WordPress plugin sold there is the Visual Composer – a page builder for WordPress. It sells for $32 (base price). And guess how many times it was sold till now – almost 110,000 times ! Now don’t get me wrong – it’s not very easy to sell your WordPress plugins in this volumes. But it’s definitely possible. On YouTube you can find many WordPress plugin developing tutorials. Many of these tutorials are really good and will teach you all the important basic things (for example – this series). Now, if you don’t know coding, or just don’t like programming – you can still make money selling WordPress plugins. How you can do that? by hiring a programmer ! (If you have a very limited budget – search for one on websites like Fiverr or UpWork).
- Free Plugins – You can also develop a plugin (or as mentioned before – hire someone to do that for you) and offer it for free. “Lock” some of it’s features, and offer a “premium” version of your plugin (with all features and technical support) for money. Many WordPress plugin developers do that. Even if only 1-2% of all users that installed your plugin will upgrade to the premium version, you can still make a lot of money.
- Promoting Plugins As an Affiliate – Many websites that sell WordPress plugins also offer affiliate programs. After you register, you get a unique affiliate links. When someone clicks on your link and makes a purchase – you earn a commission. This way, you can earn money promoting WordPress plugins without coding or even developing a single plugin. Check CodeCanyon’s affiliate program – they offer up to 30% commission.
WordPress Themes provide the front end styling (“design”) of your website. There are thousands of different WordPress themes. WordPress users can customize them (for example – change the header images, background color. etc..) , so in fact – it’s rare to see 2 websites (or more) with the same exact design. Most themes are free, but there are thousends of premium themes. Some of them are cheap, and some cost hundreds or thousends of dollars.
- Creating Wordpress Themes – You don’t have to be a professional designer in order to create WordPress themes. If you know how to code, you can easily create a unique WordPress theme and sell it online. There are many online marketplaces that sell WordPress themes. Some of them allow programmers and designers sell their themes as well (for example – themeforest). You can also choose to offer your theme for free, and charge for customization, technical support or special features. There are few websites that sell WordPress themes with reselling rights. That means that you will be able to re-sell these themes. I don’t recommend doing that since many of these themes worth nothing.
- Affiliate Programs – Many marketplaces and websites that sell WordPress themes also offer affiliate programs. Some of they pay a nice commission (for example 70% of every sale).
WordPress Installation Services
WordPress can be installed on a server in few minutes. But many people (especially those who never built a WordPress based website before) just don’t know how to do that. You can offer those individuals your “WordPress Installation Service”. After they give you access to their server, you install WordPress, configure their website – and get paid ! If they did not rent a server yet (or paid for a shared hosting plan) – you can also recommend them a web hosting company and earn a commission (it can be as high as $100 in many cases). You do have to make sure that this marketing technique is fine with the hosting plan ! Some web hosting companies won’t allow that. You can even offer the installation service for free as long as they buy the hosting through your affiliate link. Few of these installations a week and you’ll make thousends of dollars a month. Not bad at all, right?
WordPress Maintenance Service
Many WordPress based website owners don’t have the time to update their website with new content. Let alone improving SEO and other important things. You can offer your WordPress website maintenance service to businesses and individuals as well. Many businesses are interested and are using this kind of services. It saves them time and in the long run – it also makes them money !
I hope this post helped you. Remember – it’s all about action. You can read many articles regarding selling themes, plugins or WordPress related services. But – it’s all about action. The sooner you start – the earlier you will succeed. I know many talented programmers that dream about making a living selling plugins and themes. Very few of them do anything about it. It’s important to not give up – selling WordPress themes or plugins can be very profitable. But – it does not happen overnight in most cases.